Calgary Mobile App Development
Tips on App Development for Those With No Time for Tech
Today, mobile devices are omnipresent and they have become irreplaceable when it comes to communication, business, entertainment, and socializing. This trend is confirmed by research, and it shows that the use of mobile devices will only increase, since people want access to information when they on the move. By this year (2016) – almost 80% of the world’s population has access to mobile devices and the mobile market is developing 4 times faster than any other. Mobile apps are nine-times more visited than the websites, as they can be accessed even offline.
Almost all users have installed and access, on a daily basis, apps such as Facebook, Viber, What’s App, Live-scores, News feeds, etc. Companies in Calgary can have their own apps as well which will cover part or all of their business. Apps are a fast and easy way for clients to:
- Browse products
- Perform payment
- Order a product or service
- Receive all necessary information
- Be informed about company news.
All this – on mobile devices, anytime, anywhere.
Let’s talk about Calgary Mobile App Development. In 2010 the American Dialect Society declared the word ‘App’ as the word of the year, pointing to the expansion of applications. It is time that any Calgary-based business owner or manager should seriously consider a custom app.
Benefits of Mobile Apps
- Mobile applications will increase the visibility of your brand and customer’s loyalty.
- You can offer your products or services in the client’s palm.
- Delivering exclusive content through the most popular communication channel.
- Free usage of push notifications and sending informational advertisements to your customers or fans.
- Enabling customers’ direct navigation to your store or office.
- Giving your customers the best customer care.
- Getting a competitive advantage by an innovative approach.
- Being visible within iTunes and Play Store, where today 80% of people search applications.
- Better HR functions for private internal apps
In order to have a successful approach for the development of your mobile app, you will need to understand the exact process for app development.
Software Development Phases
- Expression (gathering) of the user (business) requirements;
- Design of the application (both solution design and graphical design of the layout);
- Development of the application;
- Testing of the mobile app;
- Deployment in real production (going live);
- Maintenance and upgrades of the app.
Especially important is your (client/boss/employees) involvement in the requirements stage – this will help you to express your demands about the app functioning. In this stage you will talk directly to the developers’ representative and you should elaborate your needs and expectations. You should pay attention to these elements of the requirements:
- The intended audience/ users of the app (your employees, your customers etc.);
- The purpose and objectives of the mobile app;
- The operating environment of the app (iOS, Android, Windows Mobile), plus back-end specification and database specification;
- All user scenarios (use cases), i.e. all actions that the users of the app can perform;
- Main wire-frames (mock-ups) of the mobile app. The behavior of any software application is defined by its wire-frames / screen drawings.
- App flow diagram, i.e. transition from one to another screen (module) of the mobile app;
- Non-functional requirements for the mobile app (security issues, quality assurance, and performance – speed, smoothness etc.).
Fig. 1. Example wire-frame for a mobile app
In addition – there are some extra requirements when thinking about optimized mobile app operation:
- Connectivity issues – the app should function in different environments: Wi-Fi connection, cell phone (GPRS / 3G/ 4G) data network and offline working mode.
- Push notifications (data delivery) – the main purpose of each application is to give effective information to the clients.
Even in offline work regime, the app must provide all necessary info that it was created to deliver.
- Usability issues – you have to ensure that the app flow is intuitive and easy to navigate.
- Integrated security – security policies should be implemented to restrict the data leakage, including security certificates and user-granted permissions.
- Integrated application management – the app management should cover its complete life-cycle after the initial development – the app testing, deployment, updates and maintenance.
Fig. 2. App flow diagram
For more information visit: