Systems Administrator II – Tier 2 IT Support
We have an immediate opening for a full-time Systems Administrator II – Tier 2 IT Support
We provide IT support for multiple clients ranging from 5 to 200 user environments in Calgary, and Airdrie. Salary negotiable. Health benefits after three months. We are a small company so beyond the necessary skills and knowledge, we need a very team focused individual. Hours will likely be 6 am to 2:30 pm or 7 am to 3:30 pm M-F. Some on-call work may be required.
The Systems Administrator II is responsible for selecting, implementing, supporting, maintaining and upgrading of the hardware and software of server and storage systems. Applies the necessary technical expertise to adequately sustain and implement server systems while communicating with peers, customers and leadership.
- Collaborates and communicates with peers, customers and leaders of the health, capacity, patch level and overall status of systems.
- Provides technical recommendations and solutions for how to meet business problems.
- Applies the patches and upgrades for systems, and performs system checkout and verification of change.
- Implements new systems and retires older equipment.
- Documents system changes through change management, team process and procedures, configuration management databases and system diagrams.
- Optimizes current processes and develops new processes as required.
- Provides level 1 and 2 support.
- Writes technical specifications for purchase of hardware and systems software.
- Makes recommendations for software/hardware based on research in support of procurement efforts, when appropriate.
- Builds servers for new system implementation and migration.
- Troubleshoots network, storage, server, cabling, operating system and application elements of a system.
- Acts as a liaison and advocates for systems and the tools, processes, and procedures necessary throughout the lifecycle of technology.
- Administers and implements security processes and procedures.
- Monitors the performance and availability of systems.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to troubleshoot and manage Enterprise solutions.
- Ability to analyze information and use logic and process to address work-related issues and problems.
- Ability to troubleshoot with a group and be an active participant during technology conversations.
- Ability to be careful and thorough about detail.
- Ability to handle pressure and deadline oriented project demands as well as manage multiple initiatives.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Ability to organize well.
- Ability to perform well in team environment, with staff at all levels, to achieve business goals.
- Ability to troubleshoot existing applications.
- Ability to think critically and work independently to meet objectives.
- Have exceptional client service skills whether dealing with business owners, management, or staff in person, over the phone, or electronically.
Work Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Ability to communicate and exchange information
- Requires standing, walking, lifting, and moving objects (up to 50 lbs.)
- May be required to travel based on business needs; at times on a very short notice.
- Multiple trips per week visiting sites in Calgary, Airdire, and nearby communities (fuel expense will be reimbursed).
Associated Degree in a technical field and an additional 2 years of experience required
Related Work Experience:
- 2 yrs System Administration experience in a Windows environment
- 2 yrs experience with backup software and methodologies
- 1-2 yrs of enterprise IT tools and enterprise IT team experience
- Good Virtualization understanding (vSphere & Hyper-V)
- Demonstrated server/hardware experience with HP, IBM, and/or Dell products
- Demonstrated knowledge of Linux, Windows or Unix operating systems
- Good knowledge of networking and TCP/IP
- MCSA certification
- 2+ years of experience with storage solutions (EMC, Synology, Qnap, or similar)
- Experience with NAKIVO and/or Veeam backup
- Valid Drivers Licence
- Legal to work in Canada without restrictions
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants but only those chosen for interviews will be contacted. Please, no telephone calls.