Google Adwords Management and Online Advertising
Most Calgary business owners would be shocked to learn that about half of their Google AdWords budget is wasted. There’s an adage in advertising, “Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is I don’t know which half”. This phrase was coined almost 100 years ago by John Wanamaker. If John was around today he might say something like, “Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; and it’s because my Google Adwords manager used a “set it and forget it strategy.”
Below is a screen shot of one of Matterhorn’s Google AdWords accounts. Most of the listed campaigns are for well known Calgary land developments and home builders. The main thing to note is the cost per click (how much you pay every time some one clicks on your ad). We have our clients so well targeted that they are only paying anywhere from 99 cents to $2.19 per click! When we took over these campaigns, our clients were paying upwards of $6.00 per click. So how did we get out clients an 84% discount on their online advertising cost? We list some of the reasons below this image.
How to reduce your online advertising cost
- Hire a marketing company that cares about your money as much as you do.
- Do not tolerate a set it and forget it strategy
- Ask for monthly detailed reports that list
- Total spend
- Total clicks
- Cost per click
- The geography targeted
- The search terms targeted
- The negative search terms (searches you do NOT want the ads to be seen)
- The ads themselves
- The click though rates of each ad
- The click through rates of each search term
- What pages of your website the ads are targeting
- The length of visit on your website of each ad or campaign
- The leads (or other metric) generated on your website by these ads
- The cost of a lead (or other metric) based on how many clicks it takes to create a lead
- Ask other business owners what they are paying for their Google Ad campaigns.
- Understand that Google is an online auction system and its priority is maximizing its own revenues by getting you to pay as much as possible for as long as possible.
- Understand some basic auction and game theory principles
- Start you campaign earlier that you need to to refine your ad campaigns so you pay the lowest possible price
- Call Matterhorn and let us take care of all of this and the creative elements for you. We can also design your landing pages or new website if that’s what you need.
Ultimately, your marketing is up to you. Our mission is to make sure that you are informed well enough to make the best decisions.